Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Tribute to a Great Physician

He took my call even though the clock said the working day was officially done.

"What's going on, Diane?" he gently asked with a voice filled with sincerity and concern.

"Oh, I am not feeling well and was wondering..." I replied.

The doctor on the other end of the line calmed my fears, once again, and answered my questions. He had been my doctor for longer than I could remember. He devoted himself to his patients giving them the attention that they needed. He would make each patient feel that they were the only person that mattered when he was seeing or talking with them.

During my late husband's last days, he would arrive at our home at the end of what I am sure was a very, long day. With his scuffed, old brown medical bag in hand, he would walk in, spend time with Bob who was in a coma and I know he knew there was nothing more he could do. He would talk with the family that was present in a soothing, reassuring and comforting voice and then tell us to call him if we needed him even into the wee hours of the night or morning.

This was my physician, Dr. Hugh Harwood. As of June 30, 2010, he officially let go of his private practice and has gone on to do other things in the medical field. There are not many doctors like Dr. Harwood. He went, in my mind, above and beyond. He cared deeply. He helped me navigate through all of my pain, loss and joys that have been part of my life. He always listened.

With all of the changes in health care coming, I hope we do not lose the "Dr. Harwoods" of the world. Doctors who are willing to go beyond for the needs of their patients. Dr. Harwood was a wonderful doctor. I appreciate and will miss all that he did for me over the years.

Thank you, Dr. Harwood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home